When you have been appointed as the executor or personal representative ( they are the same thing, but personal representative is the more modern term), you have several things that must be done. Here are just a few:
- Obtain the death certificate.
- Determine what debts were left by the decedent.
- Find the original Will if the decedent left one.
- Make sure everyone noted in the Will has been notified. If there is no Will, determine who all of the next of kin are.
- Determine where bank accounts, life insurance policies, retirement accounts, brokerage accounts, etc., are located, and what their status is.
- Determine where all of the real estate owned by the decedent is.
- The list goes on.
- If you are named as personal representative, you probably need to speak with an attorney. Call me and let’s see what can be done.